Alameda County is filled with a rich history remembered through historic status and landmark classification.
NO. 45
SITE OF
COLLEGE OF CALIFORNIA
NO. 46
VALLEJO FLOUR MILL
NO. 107 JOAQUIN MILLER HOME
NO. 241 LIVERMORE MEMORIAL MONUMENT
NO. 246
RANCHO SAN ANTONIO (PERALTA GRANT)
NO. 279 ESTUDILLO HOME - Site of the last home, built about
1850, of José Joaquín Estudillo, grantee of Rancho San
Leandro, and his wife, Juana Martínez de Estudillo. The
family founded San Leandro, built a hotel, and donated
several lots, including the original site of St. Leander's
Church, to the city.
Location: 550 W Estudillo Ave, San Leandro
NO. 285 PERALTA HOME - The first brick house built in
Alameda County, the Peralta home was constructed in 1860 by
W. P. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish
settler. His father, Don Luís María Peralta, received the
land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Solá
on October 20, 1820.
Location: 561 Lafayette at Leo Ave, San Leandro
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-78000654
NO. 299 CAMINO OF RANCHO SAN ANTONIO - The Camino of Rancho
San Antonio ran from Mission San Jose to Fruitvale, and
later to San Pablo by way of Oakland and El Cerrito. The
word camino means trail, road, highway, or line of
communication that is in general public or private use.
Location: SW corner of Oakland and Santa Clara Aves, Oakland
NO. 334 MISSION SAN JOSE - On June 9, 1797, troops under
Sergeant Pedro Amador, accompanied by Father Fermín Lasuén,
set out from Santa Clara for the spot that the natives
called Oroysom in the valley of San Jose. The following day
a temporary chapel was erected, and on June 11, the father
presidente 'raised and blessed the cross. In a shelter of
boughs he celebrated holy mass.' On the 28th Fathers Isidoro
Barcenilla and Agustín Merino arrived to take charge of the
new mission. The mission, except part of the padre's
quarters, was completely destroyed in the earthquake of
1868.
Location: Mission Blvd at Washington Blvd, Fremont
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-71000131
NO. 335 SITE OF SHELL MOUND - It is said that the Indians
who came to this site camped just above the shoreline. The
shells they threw aside from their catches of shellfish
eventually covered some hundreds of thousands of square
feet, marked by several cones. When the University of
California excavated this site in the 1920s, they found that
the mound consisted mostly of clam, mussel, and oyster
shells, with a plentiful mixture of cockleshells.
Location: 4600 block of Shell Mound St, Emeryville
NO. 440 ALAMEDA TERMINAL OF THE FIRST TRANSCONTINENTAL
RAILROAD - With the Pacific Railroad Act of 1862 authorizing
construction of a railroad and telegraph line, the first
concentration of activity was east of Sacramento.
Subsequently the line was opened from Sacramento to San
Jose. During June 1869 construction was started near Niles,
and by August a temporary connection had been made at San
Leandro with the San Francisco and Alameda Railroad. On
September 6, 1869, the first Central Pacific train reached
San Francisco Bay at Alameda.
Location: Naval Air Station Mall, in front of Building No.
1, Alameda Naval Air Station, Alameda
NO. 503 SITE OF FIRST COUNTY COURTHOUSE This is the site of
Alameda County's first courthouse where county government
began on June 6, 1853. Officials met in a two-story wooden
building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as a
merchandise store. The seat of government moved to San
Leandro in 1856, following an election in December 1854.
Location: 30977 Union City Blvd and Smith St, Alvarado
District, Union City
NO. 510 FRANCISCO SOLANO ALVISO ADOBE - This building,
erected in 1844-46 by Francisco Solano Alviso, was the first
adobe house to be built in the Pleasanton Valley. It was
originally called Alisal-The Sycamores. Following the Battle
of Sunol Canyon, General John C. Frémont withdrew to this
building, which became his headquarters for several days.
Location: 3459 Foothill Rd, 3 mi south of Dublin
NO. 586 CRESTA BLANCA WINERY - Here Charles A. Wetmore
planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made
from its fruit won for California the first International
Award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first
bringing assurance to California wine growers that they
could grow wines comparable to the finest in the world.
Location: 5050 Arroyo Rd across from Veterans Hospital, S of
Livermore
NO. 641 CONCANNON VINEYARD - Here, in 1883, James Concannon
founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in
sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore
Valley as one of America's select wine-growing districts.
Grape cuttings from this vineyard were introduced to Mexico
between 1889 and 1904 for the improvement of its commercial
viticulture.
Location: 4590 Tesla Rd at S Livermore Ave, 2 mi SE of
Livermore
NO. 642 LELAND STANFORD WINERY - This winery was founded in
1869 by Leland Stanford -- railroad builder, Governor of
California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford
University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah
Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in the
world could be produced in California. The restored
buildings and winery are now occupied and operated by Weibel
Champagne Vineyards.
Location: From I-680 take Mission Blvd N 0.5 mi to Stanford
Ave, turn E to winery in Mission San Jose District, Fremont
NO. 676 SITE OF SAINT MARY'S COLLEGE - Site of Saint Mary's
College, 'The Old Brick Pile,' 1899-1928. Plaque placed by
Saint Mary's College Alumni, April 25, 1959.
Location: 3093 Broadway and Hawthorne, Oakland
NO. 694 CHURCH OF ST. JAMES THE APOSTLE - This church,
founded under authority of Bishop Kip, first Episcopal
Bishop for California, has given uninterrupted service to
this community since June 27, 1858.
Location: 1540-12th Ave at Foothill Blvd, Oakland
NO. 768 SITE OF NATION'S FIRST SUCCESSFUL BEET SUGAR FACTORY
- E. H. Dyer, 'father of the American beet sugar industry,'
built the factory in 1870 on a corner of his farm. It began
to process sugar beets on November 15, 1870, and produced
293 tons of sugar during its first operating season. The
plant has since been completely rebuilt on the original
site.
Location: 30849 Dyer St, Union City
NO. 776 SITE OF FIRST PUBLIC SCHOOL IN CASTRO VALLEY - This
site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866
pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell donated it for
'educational purposes only' and paid the salary of the
teacher, who taught children in the one-room schoolhouse by
day, and farmhands by candlelight at night.
Location: 19200 Redwood Rd, between James and Alma, Castro
Valley
NO. 824 SAN LEANDRO OYSTER BEDS - During the 1890s the
oyster industry thrived until it became the single most
important fishery in the state. Moses Wicks is supposed to
have been the first to bring seed oysters around the horn
and implant them in the San Leandro beds. The oyster
industry in San Francisco Bay was at its height around the
turn of the century, it reached a secondary peak by 1911 and
then faded away because of polluted conditions of the bay.
Location: San Leandro Marina, S end of N Dike Rd, San
Leandro
NO. 849 MILLS HALL - When Mills Seminary, forerunner of Hue
college, transferred its operations to Oakland from Benicia
in 1871, it moved into a long, four-story building with a
high central observatory. The mansarded structure, which
provided homes for faculty and students as well as
classrooms and dining halls, long was considered the most
beautiful educational building in the state.
Location: Mills College, 5000 MacArthur at Pierson St,
Oakland
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-71000132
NO. 884 PARAMOUNT THEATRE - This is the 'Art Deco,' or
'Moderne' style of movie palace built during the rise of the
motion picture industry. The Paramount, which opened on
December 16, 1931, is the most ambitious theatre design of
architect Timothy L. Pflueger. Restored in 1973, it has
retained an exceptional unity of style.
Location: 2025 Broadway, Oakland - plaque located at
475-21st St
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-73000395
NO. 896 FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF OAKLAND - Designed in 1889
by Walter J. Mathews, this solid masonry Romanesque church
departed radically from California's traditional Gothic wood
frame construction. Noted for its world famous stained glass
windows produced by Goodhue of Boston, and for arching
redwood spans, the widest at that time west of the Rockies,
the church remains a significant cultural and architectural
landmark.
Location: 685 14th St at Castro St, Oakland
NO. 908 BERKELEY CITY CLUB - The Berkeley City Club was
organized by women in 1927, to contribute to social, civic,
and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is
one of the outstanding works of noted California architect
Julia Morgan, whose interpretation of Moorish and Gothic
elements created a landmark of California design.
Location: 2315 Durant Ave, Berkeley
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-77000282
NO. 925 PERALTA HACIENDA SITE - One of California's original
Spanish colonists, Luís Peralta received the first and
largest Mexican land grant. His hacienda was the nucleus of
the Rancho de San Antonio, which covered the sites of seven
present-day East Bay cities and reached to the Contra Costa
frontier. The rancho's first permanent adobe was located
here, and the 1870 Italianate frame house is one of two
remaining Peralta buildings.
Location: 2465 34th Ave and Paxton St, Oakland
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-77000285
NO. 946 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY CAMPUS - These
landmarks form the historic core of the first University of
California campus, opened in 1873: Founders' Rock,
University House, Faculty Club and Glade, Hearst Greek
Theatre, Hearst Memorial Mining Building, Doe Library,
Sather Tower and Esplanade, Sather Gate and Bridge, Hearst
Gymnasium, California, Durant, Wellman, Hilgard, Giannini,
Wheeler, North Gate and South Halls.
Location: University Ave, Berkeley
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-82004638
NO. 954 CROLL BUILDING - This building is closely associated
with sporting events significant to the history of the City
of Alameda, the San Francisco Bay area and the State of
California. Croll's is important in the early development of
boxing during the Golden Age of Boxing in California, a
period of great California champions such as Jim Corbett and
James Jeffries. From the 1890s to about 1910, Croll housed
many of the best boxers in America in his hotel.
Location: 1400 Webster St, Alameda
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
NPS-82000960
NO. 957 WENTE BROS. WINERY - Here the first Wente vineyard
of 47 acres was established by C. H. Wente in 1883. In 1935
his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California's first
varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the
Wente family have helped establish the Livermore Valley as
one of the premier wine-growing areas of California. In
their centennial year, Wente Bros. is the oldest
continuously operating, family-owned winery in California.
Location: 5565 Tesla Rd, Livermore
NO. 962 SITE OF BLOSSOM ROCK NAVIGATION TREES - Until at
least 1851, redwood trees on this site were used as
landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged
Blossom Rock, in San Francisco Bay, west of Yerba Buena
island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged,
today's trees are sprouts from their stumps.
Location: Madrone Picnic Area, Thomas J. Roberts Recreation
Area, Redwood Regional Park, 11500 Skyline Blvd, Oakland
NO. 968 SITE OF THE CHINA CLIPPER FLIGHT DEPARTURE - Pan
American World Airways' fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130
Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935. Under
the command of Captain Edwin C. Musick, the flight would
reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The
inauguration of ocean airmail service and commercial
airflight across the Pacific was a significant event for
both California and the world.
Location: Naval Air Station Mall, in front of Building No.
1, Alameda Naval Air Station, Alameda (contact Staff Civil
Engineer's Office , 510/263-3712, for permission to see
plaque-3 weekdays only)
NO. 970 RAINBOW TROUT SPECIES IDENTIFIED - The naming of the
Rainbow Trout species was based on fish taken from the San
Leandro Creek drainage. In 1855, Dr. W. P. Gibbons, founder
of the California Academy of Sciences, was given three
specimens obtained from the creek. He described and assigned
them the scientific name Salmo iridia. Rainbow Trout are now
worldwide in distribution and are a highly prized game fish.
Location: 50 yards past Redwood Gate entrance kiosk, Redwood
Regional Park, Oakland
NO. 986 PIEDMONT WAY - Piedmont Way was conceived in 1865 by
Frederick Law Olmsted, America's foremost landscape
architect. As the centerpiece of a gracious residential
community close beside the College of California, Olmsted
envisioned a roadway that would follow the natural contours
of the land and be sheltered from sun and wind by 'an
overarching bowery of foliage.' This curvilinear, tree-lined
parkway was Olmsted's first residential street design. It
has served as the model for similar parkways across the
nation.
Location: Piedmont Ave between Gayley Rd and Dwight Way,
Berkeley
NO. 1025 UKRANIA, SITE OF AGAPIUS HONCHARENKO FARMSTEAD -
Ukraina” is the site of the farm and burial place of the
Ukrainian patriot and exiled orthodox priest Agapius
Honcharenko (1832-1916) and his wife Albina. Honcharenko was
the first nationally conscious Ukrainian to arrive in the
United States. He published the first American newspaper in
Russian and Ukrainian languages, The Alaska Herald, from
1868-1872. He wrote the first book for the educational use
of Native Alaskans. After moving here from San Francisco in
1873, He continued to publish political literature, which
was smuggled into Czarist Russia. Honcharenko was a
prominent scholar, humanitarian, and early champion for
human rights.
Location: Garin Regional Park, East Bay Regional Park
District, San Francisco Bay
NO. 1027 PARDEE HOME - The property was built by prominent
Oakland pioneer Enoch Pardee, who was a state senator and
representative to the Assembly. He was also mayor of Oakland
in the 1870's. Enoch Pardee's son George also served as
Oakland's mayor but is better known as the Earthquake”
Governor of California, holding office from 1903 through
1907. George Pardee was an important Progressive voice in
California Republican politics, but his efforts at reform
during his governorship brought on the wrath of the
railroads and lost him the nomination of his party for a
second term. Pardee went on to work for conservationist
causes and to help bring Mokelumne River water to Oakland.
The Pardee Dam on that river is named after him.
Location: 672 11th Street, Oakland, CA
NO. 1029 USS HORNET - In 1991 the Hornet was designated a
National Historic Landmark both for its service in the
Pacific in World War II and as the recovery ship for the
Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 astronauts. Involved in several of
the heaviest and most critical battles in the Pacific, the
Hornet earned seven battle stars and a Presidential Unit
Citation. The Hornet or its aircrews were responsible for
destroying more than 1400 enemy aircraft. After undergoing
modernization the ship was called to service in recovering
the landing capsules for the Apollo space program. The
Apollo 11 mission was the first landing on the moon. The
Hornet, with President Nixon on board, picked up astronauts
Neil Armstrong, Edwin Buzz” Aldrin, and Michael Collins
from the sea in the summer of 1969, welcoming them to earth
from their historic mission. The Hornet recovered the
astronauts of Apollo 12 before the carrier was
de-commissioned in 1970.
Location: Pier 3 North, Alameda Point, 707 West Hornet
Drive, Alameda
NO. 1036 Coast Guard Lightship WLV 605 – Relief
(decommissioned) - Lightships were floating lighthouses
anchored in areas where it was too deep, expensive, or
impractical to construct a lighthouse. Lightship WLV 605 was
built by the Rice Brothers Shipyard in Boothbay, Maine, and
was one of six lightships constructed by the Coast Guard.
She was commissioned in 1951 and served at Overfalls
lightship station off Delaware coast. In 1959 she was
transferred to the Blunts Reef station off Cape Mendocino,
where she served until 1969. In 1969 she was assigned as
Relief” for all West Coast lightship stations. She was
retired from duty in 1975, and decommissioned the following
year. The WLV-605 is one of a small number of only 22
surviving American lightships in the United States and she
is the last lightship in California. It was designated a
National Historic Landmark in 1990.
Location: Jack London Square, Oakland